Monday, December 3

Techno-free

It's pretty amazing how rapidly technology changes. I've taken to blogging again- and blogger is so different. There are "dynamic" templates for blogs that let you view posts through a modern layout which seems more interactive and well, dynamic. (Am still using the old simple layout because I can't seem to see pictures in the new layout lest I click on the post title.) Another thing I noticed was that my blog url no longer ends in .com but in .sg. I have no clue how long these changes have been around, since I've been using an app to update my blog from my phone. The wonders of technology.


It's pretty amazing how rapidly technology changes our lives. Last weekend my family held another "no technology" day, which meant no cellphones, no computers and no TV. Basically anything with a screen gets a day off from work. Honestly, it isn't easy, but I highly recommend it for workaholics or anyone in need of a break, but can't seem to get one.

The moment I gained consciousness this morning, my hands were already at work feeling for my phone. Did I leave it on the left of my head? No. It should be on the right. Not there either. Under the pillow? Nope. Did it fall of the bunk bed again?! And then I remembered that I had surrendered it over the night before for a 24-hour "no technology" Sunday.

The day wore on slowly. Every glance at the clock left me wondering whether it needed new batteries. Like searching for my phone the second I woke up, throughout the day I noticed how naturally technology has fit into my life. I sat in the living room and reached for the remote control, I stood up to go to my room and almost looked around for my phone. I spotted my Dad's iPad (which was out of the confinement zone) and reached for it, forgetting about the ban. So much idle time to which my automatic response is to occupy it with some meaningless distraction.

We spent the afternoon playing board games as a family and then I went out with the boys for basketball despite the rain. When we were tired, we sought shelter at a nearby coffee shop and had some meaningful conversations which mostly revolved around... Dating.

Anyway, somehow all the things we talked about (even in passing) made me realise with heartache that the five of us in the family may be living in the same country only for a couple years more. This really weighed me down and is causing the kind of sadness that separation always brings. How will that even be like? The thought makes me feel weak inside.

At the same time I was enlightened about the kind of options I have post-graduation with dual citizenship and permanent residency in three different countries. My immersion in school and the accompanying pressure to join the rat race has made me forget this. Honestly, having these options scare me. While I imagine that my future would be easier if I didn't choose here, I wish weren't true because of what's keeping me from leaving. Should I even be considering this?

I contemplated and prayed. Of course I have no answer yet, but as the "no technology" ban was lifted and at 22:00 sharp I turned my phone and computer on, some words popped into my head. "In my (something) are many (something)". I knew I had heard that line before, but couldn't quite place it. At first I thought it was a poem that my brother had to memorise for school, but after I while I realised it was a Bible verse. I looked it up, and it goes:

Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going." John 14:2-4 (ESV)
What a wonderful reminder that no matter where in the world we are, in the end our home is in heaven with God! And there, there will be no sadness and no separation. I'm so thankful for the assurance in Christ and the freedom that I can experience knowing His grace has made these things possible.

"But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ" Philippians 3:20

No comments: